The invention of Portland Cement is credited to an English stonemason named Joseph Aspdin. He obtained a patent for Portland Cement in 1824. He called his new product Portland Cement because when hardened, it resembled the color of natural stone quarried on the Isle of Portland in the English Channel. Concrete was used on a very limited basis from its inception through the late 1800’s. It was mixed on-site until about 1920 when the idea of mixing at a central location and then hauling it to the project site became popular. This innovation improved quality and consistency and was so convenient for contractors that it became the preferred method of producing and using concrete. The term “Ready Mixed Concrete” caught on because the concrete was already mixed when it arrived at the jobsite.